Saturday, September 4, 2010

Michael Ondaatje - The English Patient

"(...) I was not like him. Though I loved him. Admired him. I had this side to my nature which saw reason in all things. I was the one who had an earnest and serous air at school, which he would imitate and mock. You understand, of course, I was far less serious than he was, it was just htat I hated confrontation. It didn't stop me doing whatever I wished or doing things the way I wanted to. Quite early on I had discovered the overlooked space open to those of us with a silent life. I didn't argue with the policeman who said I couldn't cycle over a certain bridge or through a specific gate in the fort - I just stood there, still, until I was invisible, and then I went through. Like a cricket. Like a hidden cup of water. You understand? (...)"


"Yo no era como él, aunque lo quería, lo admiraba. Yo tenía la facultad de ver una razón de ser en todas las cosas. Era el que adoptaba una actitud seria y formal en la escuela, que él remedaba y de la que se burlaba. Claro, que yo era mucho menos serio que él; sólo que detestaba la confrontación. Lo que no me impedía hacer lo que me apetecía o salirme con la mía. Muy pronto había descubierto un espacio del que disfrutábamos sólo los que llevábamos una vida reservada. No discutía con el policía que me impedía circular en bicicleta por determinado puente o entrar por determinada puerta del fuerte, me limitaba a quedarme ahí, inmóvil, hasta que me volvía invisible y entonces entraba: como un grillo, como una taza de agua escondida. ¿Entiendes?"
Translation: Carlos Manzano    

No comments:

Post a Comment